Saturday, December 19, 2009

The Continuing Story

I just realized, dear friends, that I have been telling you stories without concluding them. Of course, life really has no true "The End" moment. It has one on earth that turns into the Great Beginning of Eternity. But here's some follow up on people you're heard about and prayed for. Thank you so much for reading and for praying!!


My hives are mostly gone. I think that I've pinpointed the allergy to a cooking oil from the Dominican Republic. It's great to be cooking for myself, using Walmart oil that I found in Port, and eating fruits and veggies again!! I'm so thankful!!


Brooke and Joy are both fully restored to health!


Dr. Emmett is healing well. Thankfully, no complications that we can tell so far. He possibly broke his nose, and it looks like he broke a rib. But he's in good spirits and healing nicely! Thanks for your continued prayers for him!


Miriam is doing so much better!! She's still weak, but able to help her mom work and go to school again. We're still really suspicious for spiritual warfare!


The impromptu singalong in the hospital the other day had neat results! While we were singing, the grandmother of one of my patients joined us. The patient is a 19 day old who was admitted for seizures and sepsis (overwhelming bacterial infection, probably meningitis versus cerebral malaria). Ever since I first saw the patient last week, he had a string with a button on it tied around his little tummy. One of the nurses I work with chewed out the family this, as it is a witchdoctor/superstitious remedy to hopefully ward off the evil spirits considered to be causing this child's illness. Last weekend, the nurse sternly told that family that this child is only getting better because he is in the hospital receiving good medical care and that the string is doing nothing and needed to be removed. I love her boldness! 


The grandmother did not sing with us, but she listened intently. The following day, I rounded on her grandson, who is doing much better, and his string was gone!!!! My Creole is still limited, but I am praying that she knows that the true Healer is the Lord and that our faith should rest wholly in Him, not strings or contraptions. 


Also, the child who was born while people were still singing was born into an unwelcome situation. Again, my Creole is lacking, so I do not know the whole story. But I do know that the mama is 17 years old, there was no father present, and the baby was offered to me at birth. The mother did not smile or seem at all excited that her little one had arrived. She didn't even ask if it was a boy or girl. I know that childbirth is exhausting, but I also know that it is a miracle and I hope that every little precious soul is born into a home that loves it and wants it. I'm not certain that is the case with this bundle of sweetness that is loved by the Lord. As my friends in the hall sang Jesus' words that He will never forget us or leave us, He whispered into my heart that He loves this little baby. He will never leave him or forget him. I wish that I were in a position to take him home and be sure that he is enjoyed and loved on and taught about God's love for him. But I'm not. But I am in a place to hold him for a little while, pray for him, and trust Jesus that He will do what He said-- never leave or forget him.


Thanks again for your prayers and comments! I love hearing from you!!

1 comment:

bathmate said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Post a Comment